I. Basic Function
Responsible for maintaining clean and repaired condition of the property interiors, exteriors, and site using company-supplied materials and equipment and following manufacturer's directions for same. Provides support and rotates emergency calls with Maintenance Supervisor and other Maintenance Technicians.
The majority of decisions are made by Maintenance Supervisor or On-Site Manager and required duties are delegated to Maintenance Technician for implementation, using standard levels of productivity established by the Maintenance Supervisor in consultation with the On-Site Manager and Property Manager. Has no authority that is not specifically delegated from the Maintenance Supervisor or On-Site Manager.
Reports to Maintenance Supervisor. Maintains relationships with other staff members and participates fully in staff meetings and designated company training programs Assists and works under the direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, performs necessary repairs and preventive maintenance throughout the entire property. Continually strives to increase his/her working knowledge of the property.
- Monitors and assists in the completion of make ready units.
- Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects minor air conditioning failures (i.e., low freon, bad compressor, fan motors, etc.). Appropriate EPA certification may be required.
- Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects minor heating failures (i.e., replace heat strips, exchangers, thermocouplings, etc.).
- Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects minor appliance failures (i.e., change out or repair dishwater motors, garbage disposals, ice makers, stove elements, thermocouplings, etc.).
- Repairs minor electrical problems (i.e., change out switches, receptacles, fixtures, etc.). Works with high voltage 110-220 volts.
- Repairs minor plumbing problems (i.e., change out bibbs, seats, pop-up assemblies, operate sewer machines, sweat copper lines, maintains boiler logs, etc.).
- Provides minor carpentry and sheet rock repairs (i.e., remove/replace door frames, patch holes in sheet rock, apply texture, repair sub floors, repair cabinets, etc.).
- Assists in monitoring inventory of maintenance and cleaning supplies, facilitating accurate replacement orders.
- Performs necessary repairs and preventive maintenance on rental units as they become vacant, maintains adequate supply of rental units ready for occupancy and sales presentations, may assist as required and assigned in painting of interior units, office, clubhouse, laundry rooms, common areas, and occupied units.
- Repairs/patches carpet and restretches, installs vinyl tile, or sheet goods.
- Rekeys locks and cuts keys.
- Continuously inspects the property for safety hazards that pose a liability or potential liability and corrects same immediately, advising supervisor of necessary action.
- Shares on-call duty with Service Manager-Supervisor and other Maintenance Technicians and is available at all times via pager, unless previous arrangements have been made.
- Performs reasonable duties under supervisor's direction in completing resident work orders and requests for service.
- Incorporates both safety and customer service in performance of all job duties.
- Performs other reasonable duties as assigned.
- Performs daily pool care, assures pool (if applicable) is in proper chemical balance following manufacturer's directions for use of the same, and area is free of safety violations (i.e., safety equipment, gate functions, etc.). Possesses pool operator's certificate.
- Completes minor roof repairs (composition and built-up roofs). Must be able to climb to and walk on all roof areas of the property.
- Performs supplemental landscape maintenance and irrigation system repair so that landscape areas are tidy, trimmed and adequately watered. Replaces sprinkler heads, digs up and repairs broken lines, adjusts time clocks, etc.
- Performs supplemental exterminations as needed and allowed by law in vacant units, ant beds, etc.
- Travels to suppliers to pick up parcels and supplies as directed.
- Adheres strictly to safety procedures while performing duties.
High School graduate, or possess equivalency.
At least six months of prior apartment maintenance staff experience. Ability to perform his/her duties using standard levels of productivity and dependability, ensuring completion in a timely and zero-defect manner. Ability to maintain a clean, neat, well-groomed professional appearance. Job requires company-approved attire. Must be honest, trustworthy, enthusiastic, and team/project oriented. Must be customer service oriented and genuinely support and promote good resident relations and service to the staff and residents.
V. Physical/Mental Requirements
The Maintenance Technician position requires the following physical and mental capabilities to be performed:
Constantly (66% to 100% of the time )
Being on foot, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, climbing stairs and ladders, pushing or pulling, reaching above shoulder height, grasping, gripping, turning, lifting and carrying 1-25 lb. items, performing general and detail observation, working at above ground height, using finger dexterity, operating equipment or tools, following instructions, reading and/or comprehending manufacturer's and product label directions, communicating with other staff members, working indoors, and using adequate vision and mobility.
Frequently (33% to 66% of the time)
Writing to complete reports and requests, working outdoors in all conditions, observing things clearly beyond an arm's reach, lifting and carrying of items weighing 25-75lbs., and driving vehicles.
Occasionally (1% to 33% of the time)
Lifting and carrying (with assistance) items weighing 75-150 lbs.