I. Basic function
Maintains physical condition of entire property.
Assists On-Site Manager in performing his/her duties.
Reports to On-Site Manager.
Manages and supervises the maintenance staff.
Maintains relationships with other staff members.
Maintains relationships with residents, suppliers, vendors and professionals servicing the development.
A. Supervisory Duties:
- Prioritizes work orders.
- Establishes daily work schedules for maintenance staff.
- Follows up on work assignments for efficient, thorough completion.
- Maintains record of types and frequency of service requests received.
- Establishes emergency maintenance on-call schedule and posts and distributes emergency telephone numbers.
- Shares on-call duty with Maintenance Technicians and is available at all times via pager, unless previous arrangements have been made.
- Maintains inventory of equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Makes management approved purchases of supplies, equipment, and services.
- Makes regular inspections of the property.
- Notifies management of maintenance problems and recommended solutions.
- Assists in preparation of all maintenance-related records.
- Meets with On-Site Manager daily to report on status of all scheduled work.
- Assists in move-in and move-out procedures.
- Makes recommendations for contract services and supervises contract maintenance workers.
- Trains new maintenance staff members.
- Establishes preventive maintenance schedule.
- Maintains updated preventive maintenance information (e.g., location of extra parts for appliances, equipment serial numbers, service telephone numbers).
- Knows current condition of all vacant apartments.
- Holds regular instruction classes for maintenance staff.
- Keeps workshop or utility room clean, orderly, and safe.
- Enforces safety procedures for all maintenance staff members.
- Provides role-model for maintenance staff by following all company procedures and presenting an appearance appropriate to the image of the property.
- Job requires company-approved attire.
B. Maintenance Duties:
Obtains thorough knowledge of power, water, and gas turnoffs, clean out traps, fire extinguishers and fire hydrants.
Assists in all aspects of the property's maintenance, including grounds, custodial, preventive, corrective, deferred, and emergency maintenance:
- Maintains exterior and public lighting.
- Clears gutters and downspouts.
- Repairs structural wear and damage to buildings.
- Cares for lawn, plants, shrubs, and flowers.
- Cleans parking areas, sidewalks, alleyways, hallways, and common areas.
- Prepares vacant apartments.
- Services appliances, equipment, plumbing, electrical systems, etc.
- Picks up trash on property.
- Cleans garbage area.
- Watches out for the unusual.
- High School education or equivalent.
- Minimum three years full-time maintenance experience.
- Ability to supervise, teach, and motivate staff.
- Willingness to perform any task that is required.
- Good safety habits.
- Working knowledge of electricity, plumbing, and carpentry.
- Familiarity with HVAC systems and various appliances.
- Appearance and manner compatible with image of the property.
- Job requires company-approved attire.
- Can live on site when required.
- Good communication skills.
- Confident, positive attitude.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of people.
V. Physical/Mental Requirements
The Maintenance Supervisor position requires the following physical and mental capabilities to be performed:
Constantly (66% to 100% of the time )
Being on foot, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, climbing stairs and ladders, pushing or pulling, reaching above shoulder height, grasping, gripping, turning, lifting and carrying 1-25 lb. items, performing general and detail observation, working at above ground height, using finger dexterity, operating equipment or tools, following instructions, reading and/or comprehending manufacturer's and product label directions, communicating with other staff members, working indoors, and using adequate vision and mobility.
Frequently (33% to 66% of the time)
Writing to complete reports and requests, working outdoors in all conditions, observing things clearly beyond an arm's reach, lifting and carrying of items weighing 25-75lbs., and driving vehicles.
Occasionally (1% to 33% of the time)
Lifting and carrying (with assistance) items weighing 75-150 lbs.